Wednesday, August 29, 2007

AP English attempt #3

I finally finished. 3 pages. thank god it's done!


Long locks of hair blow in the warm summer breeze as the waves crushed the sandy beach edges. I step slowly and lightly on the wet sand beneath my feet. The ocean mist surrounds my legs as I walk inches from the shore break. Strange houses pass by as I kept my path along the beach. I looked back and saw I had a long way to walk back. But I kept going. Silence surrounds me, only broken by the crashing waves on the shore. I felt at peace. I had never felt such calm. I kept going. I made new steps in the sand as I stepped forward on my new path.

It was about this time that I realized that I was alone. I had been walking for a very long time. As if I was hypnotized I just kept walking along a path to nowhere. However it never fazed me. I was completely alone, minus the crabs scuttling along the beach, and I was content. I began to wonder how I finally came to be what I’ve strived to be for so long. For as long as I could remember, I was the wave. I would crash and then go back, only to come back and crash again. Now I felt like a bird flying above the ocean. I was above watching the waves and enjoying the wind beneath my wings.

I looked out over the sea gazing at the sight born before my eyes. The enormous sky had turned a light shade of orange. Pink was hinting at the tips of the horizon as the burning red sun dipped beneath the sea. It was fading away like the worries of the years and months and weeks and days past. The sun was reflected in the sparkling sea. A reflection of itself and it was giving in to what it saw day after day. I inhaled and exhaled a nice deep breath. It felt good to be able to breathe. There are so many times where I feel like I have been holding my breath for days.

I began to fiddle with my ring on my right hand. It was nice enough to look good on the left. However it fit right. The birthstone was light blue like the color of the afternoon sky. It wasn’t a typical class ring. It was inscribed with my high school initials and my graduation year. But it was also inscribed with the initials of the art school I attended, a very special place that many do not get to experience. I felt it deserved recognition as well. My art school was not a school like my high school but a place of passion and excellence. The people I met there helped shape who I am today. They’re like the thousands of tiny pieces of shell, fossil, and rock that form into sand and help support my feet as I walk along my path. Without them I would have no land to look back at as I fly above the roaring sea.

Now I’m looking up at the path before me. I still fit in the same footsteps as before. Suddenly I’m walking with more confidence. I’m more ready for the bumps and holes this time around. I can still remember how I got here and I know my way back home. I’m not the same as I was when I first left but I know who I am and I’m ready. I’m ready to move on to the newly repaved beach as the waves wash away my old footsteps.

The sun moves slowly into the sea. The sun sets like a clock with seconds ticking away as the scene changes in snapshots like poses. The sea is a deep blue and surely turns into black as the sun sinks completely in. I forget the time and keep breathing. Walking this path feels like floating on the breeze. It seems impossible but it is so easy.

The sky is dark blue and blanketed with tiny little lights sparkling like diamonds. The moon is peaking out from behind the clouds that can only be visible near the light of the moon. The beach is completely empty at this point. The moon shines down upon me like a spotlight and I smile basking in its limelight. I can’t help but laugh because it is as if I am on a stage for all the sea creatures to see. Dancing around on a stage like I have been doing all my life. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do and now I feel free to be exactly who I’ve always dreamt of being.

I look up to the moon and examine its wondrous being in the world. The moon hides a mysterious man who watches down upon us all. Some question such a thing but I believe it like a little girl with a foolish mind. I always look up to the moon when I’ve been looking down all day long. It helps me keep hope that there’s more to know and I have not yet found out all. While others may try to tell me otherwise I let them. However I still look up to the moon and smile at the man residing there.

The sound of cars has gone. All that is left is the hush of the crashing waves upon the shore breaking and receding back into the sea until they break again. The night sets in and I begin to shiver. I hug my arms as I walk briskly towards the lights beaming from the house. I used to be afraid of walking the beach after dark but somehow this time is different.

I am exhausted from my long walk. I curl up under my covers in my huge cloud-like bed and fall into a deep slumber. I am filled with delights from the day past and sheer excitement for the days to come. I dream that they are adventurous and never-ending. Before I drift off into my deepest sleep I feel a smile and close my eyes tight as if making a wish to keep this feeling. I treasure the feeling till the very last moment.

No comments: