Wednesday, September 12, 2007

So I'm reading the Awakening again..

I am realizing so much I didn't before.. I love that about books. How you can discover things you didn't see the first time.

There is this whole part where Edna is describing herself as a girl "swimming" through a field of tall grass in Kentucky and she said she felt as if she could go on forever and she wasn't sure why but it must have been entertaining to her.. because she was saddened by an older boy she couldn't have because she was too young and had no chance... Well the book ends with her swimming into the sea until she becomes exhausted and cannot swim anymore, thus ending her life.. all because of a guy she was in love with and could not have, not just because she was married but because he decided not to stay and be with her. That has to be the biggest foreshadowing ever. I applaude the author.

There is another part where she talks about why she married her husband.. and it really explains why so many marriages end in divorce these days. Enda was obsessed with an actor, much like many are in love with Zach Efron these days, when her husband met her and fell in love with her. Basically he worshipped her and she loved it, but her father and older sister had utter disgust that she would marry a Catholic-- so she married him. This reminded me of my relationship with Ryan this year.. because most of the reason I gave into dating him was because I felt he was the first guy who really adored me. I of course broke up with him because I felt dishonest with our relationship and felt that to drag it on any further would be a horrible mistake and hurt him. Of course Edna wanted to leave her husband just as I did with Ryan-- we are too independent and need our independence. Of course she has a love interest and I did not but I always felt guilty everytime I even thought of being with another guy. So I guess that also makes me think of what I consider to be cheating.. I guess it's really personal (thinking of someone else) for me.

Wow- self discovery ephiphany.
haha I love big words :]
.. I am referencing to Erik's latest blog topic of pet-peeves.

No comments: